Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do we need this?

The other side to the Parlour concept here. I guess I'm the one who'll do the yakka with my brother JKB when it comes to fitout, painting, install etc for the cafes, which is a titch daunting but is also a chance to create a series of cafes that are more than that, that are also venues as well. Places to hang out, take your laptop and write your first novel, sip latte and do that darn business plan you've been putting off, write up that sales report - all in a happy, cheerful, relaxed environment. 

I guess I keep asking myself, does Melbourne really need more cafes? But then I see nothing that's remotely like Parlour (well the idea we're envisioning and talking about anyway) anywhere here. It's a concept that's about more than good food, coffee and treats, though it will have those, but it's really about a great place to hang around, relax and create. I reckon most of us have become too busy again. I complained about this when I left corporate in the 1990s - too much busy work, not enough quality thinking done, therefore rushed decisions and poor quality outputs. And no-one does great things rushing around like a buzzy bee - though I know many people who believe behaving like this makes them more important, I just reckon it makes them more noticeable.

So, let's strike a blow for busy work and super long to do lists. Parlour is all about doing things supremely well and elegantly - and having fun while you're doing them too. And maybe doing a bit less, but doing it a whole lot better.

Back to the planning board. Hope you're starting to get what Parlour might be about!

No comments: